Ah, Movember. There’s a growing air of manliness around the agency as men (I fondly refer to them as my “Mo Bros”) grow moustaches to raise awareness of cancers and other health issues affecting men. Within this close-knit GSD&M family, the Mopack becomes a band of creepy uncle-type dudes you can’t help but love. While I can’t grow a Mo (thank goodness!), I love being a part of this movement.
I’m an advocate for Movember–call me “Mo Sistah”–because I really don’t like the following statistics. Men I love have been affected by each of them. Not okay.
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime
- 7,920 new cases of testicular cancer are expected to be diagnosed in 2013
- 1 in every 13 men will be diagnosed with lung cancer in his lifetime
- More than 3.5 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year
- An estimated 13 million men, or 11.8% of all men over the age of 20, have diabetes
- Over 6 million men are diagnosed with depression each year
- 24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women
As a Mo Sistah, I fundraise and cheer on my Mo Bros–which sometimes means lobbying hesitant wives and girlfriends who prefer their gentleman to be silky-smooth. I believe that a woman’s perspective motivates other women to champion the health of their dads, husbands, brothers, sons, friends, co-workers, and maybe even a few unsuspecting randoms.
I invite you to join the Mopack and help us make this our biggest year yet. Visit our page and join us or donate today.
United we Mo!
-Mo Sista TD (AKA Tiffany Dixon)